The Hero Project: Solutions Partners
08.14.12 6:02 PM ET
Student Veterans of America
- Provide military veterans with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education and after graduation.
- Create a national network of student veteran organizations on college and university campuses to provide critical peer-to-peer support at the local level.
- Change the landscape of higher education to be more supportive of the thousands of student veterans utilizing the GI Bill and other VA educational benefits.
- Provide student veterans with the highest-quality programs and services to assist in their pursuit of a market-valued degree or certificate.
- Continue to grow and support the largest network of student veteran organizations, known as SVA chapters, in the country.
- Defend the GI Bill by empowering student veterans to graduate.
- Collect data regarding student veteran outcomes in order to make informed decisions regarding programs and policies.
- Partner with credible organizations to reduce the duplication of services and to also maximize our collective impact.
Founded: January 2008
Headquarters: Washington, DC
Founded by student veterans for student veterans
Executive Director, former Chapter President at UNLV: Michael Dakduk
Chairman of the Board of Directors, Assistant Director of Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs: Rodrigo Garcia
- National Leadership Institute and Local Leadership Summits: Train student veteran leaders to create business plans for their chapters (conducted in partnership with Purdue University’s Military Family Research Institute).
- Chapter Grants: Fund campus initiatives led by student veterans.
- Corporate Mentorships: Student veterans are paired with mentors via a partnership with American Corporate Partners.
- Internship Support Program: Provides stipends to student veterans that work as unpaid interns.
- The Presidential Volunteer Service Award: Recognizes the hard-work and dedication of chapter members that volunteer countless hours in support of their fellow veterans.
- Completing the Mission: A research project conducted in partnership with the Pat Tillman Foundation and Operation College Promise to identify student veteran outcomes on a sample of colleges and universities across the country.
- Got Your 6 Campaign: SVA and our partner organizations are collecting commitments from 500 schools that pledge to offer veteran-specific programs and policies by June 2014.