the news from israel
09.25.12 1:00 PM ET
"We are guilty, we have betrayed, we have sinned."
--Title of article by right-wing Maariv commentator Ben-Dror Yemini who writes that something has gone wrong in the Zionist enterprise and Israel is becoming a radical state.
- Abbas adopts 'Dershowitz Formula' for resuming talks with Israel - Meeting Jewish leaders in New York, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas promises to recognize Jewish link to Israel in his General Assembly speech. (Haaretz+)
- Barak breaks left ahead of elections - Defense Minister Barak called for unilateral withdrawal from Judea and Samaria (W. Bank) and caused an uproar. "He's willing to endanger millions in order to pass the threshold." (Israel Hayom)
- Israeli left-wing party drafts new Mideast peace plan to replace Oslo Accords - Under Meretz's plan, Israel would help Palestine be accepted as a UN member, and be the first country to recognize the new state. (Haaretz+)
- For Arab student going to Ariel, the message is 'Yalla, get off the bus' - Iniya Daher, a Tel Aviv resident, says security guards forced her off a bus at gunpoint on her way to Ariel University Center in the West Bank. (Haaretz+)
- Ahead of layoffs, Maariv journalists clash with guards at Tel Aviv protest - Protesters demonstrating in front of former publisher's offices to demand severance payments are barred from entering building, beaten by security guards. (Haaretz+)
- Hamas halves Israeli fruit imports to Gaza - Gaza government cites as reason for ban need to cultivate local Palestinian agriculture, need for 'resistance' against Jewish state. (Agencies, Ynet)
- Ahmadinejad: Zionists are adventurous - In interview with CNN, Iranian president stresses his country has a right to defend itself if Israel strikes. (Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.