Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Welcome to the Twilight Zone,” in Newsweek.
John Avlon on how the right-wing media invented a new reality.
2. “The GOP Must Choose: Rush Limbaugh or Minority Voters,” at The Atlantic.
Do Republicans want to chomp stogies with El Rushbo or remain a force in American politics?
3. “Mitt Romney’s ORCA Program Couldn’t Stay Afloat,” in Politico.
How the GOP’s voter-targeting program went belly-up.
4. “California GOP Showing Worries Party Strategists,” from the Associated Press.
Republicans are going the way of the dodo in the Golden State.
5. “State of Denial,” in The Economist.
For the party of Lincoln, it could have been worse. That’s what’s terrifying them.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.
Months after his state was ravaged by extreme weather, the New Jersey governor is now publicly denying climate change. Expect more of that kind of idiocy as he gears up for 2016.