Seeking 'Peace And Quiet' In Israel
"Periods of peace and quiet were always the result of a dialogue and agreement. We have already assassinated terrorists and launched, as well as invaded Gaza, and nothing has changed apart from more killing and more hatred."
--Petition by Israeli intellectuals and artists calling on government to obtain a ceasefire and dialogue to lead to a peace agreement.
- Reservists ask for their sperm to be frozen if they die - New Family Organization makes available a 'biological will' - a legal document that allows a man's sperm or a woman's eggs to be used after their death. (Haaretz+)
- Israeli survey: Almost half of Sderot preteens show symptoms of PTSD - The study, which appears in the Journal of Adolescent Health, is based on a questionnaire given to 154 seventh and eighth graders in 2007-8, when there had already thousands of rockets launched at the area from Gaza. (Haaretz+)
- Faster than a speeding bullet, Iron Dome is undisputed star - Tel Aviv area Iron Dome intercepts three rockets in first two days of deployment. Unit is most advanced yet. Defense minister thanks U.S. and lauds Israeli achievements: "No other army in any country in the world has a system like it." (Israel Hayom)
- One-way ticket to the front line - Young Americans who served in the IDF but live in the States are arriving in Israel to join their combat units. (Haaretz+)
- Poll: Majority of Americans say Israel's Gaza offensive is justified - CNN poll indicates 57 percent of Americans support Israeli strikes in Gaza, while only a quarter believe IDF's military action is unjustified. (Haaretz)
- Israeli legal forum warns recent court directive may discriminate against Arab(ic) speakers - Directive states that in the case of Arab plaintiffs or defendants that do not speak Hebrew, both sides in a civil suit must pay for a court translator to come and translate the proceedings. (Haaretz)
For the full News from Israel.