"We want to preserve a homey and positive atmosphere."
--Hamarakia restaurant owner, Noam Park, explains why Israeli police were expelled from the premises.
- New (right-wing) video clip: (Arab MKs) Zouebi and Tibi dance the "Elkin Style" - Likud coalition chairman Zeev Elkin released a video clip in which left-wing leaders, including Tzipi Livni, former chief justice Dorit Beinish, Ehud Olmert, and Labor's Yachimovich and Yariv Oppenheimer (formerly of Peace Now), "protest" Elkin's activities, "which makes trouble for them." The clip, a parody of the popular S. Korean clip "Gangsta Style," is part of his campaign to convince Likud voters to choose him in primaries. (NRG Hebrew)
- Clinton warns Netanyahu not to punish Palestinian Authority for UN bid - The U.S. message to Israel was not to take any irreversible actions and to act wisely the day after the UN vote; Clinton emphasized that steps such as annulling the Oslo Accords could bring about dangerous consequences. (Haaretz+)
- Meretz party called for special Knesset debate to discuss 'price of operation in Gaza' - The discussion will focus on the social and diplomatic price. Chairwoman Galon: 'The public will be served the inflated price after elections." (NRG Hebrew)
- Phone messages that endangered the soldiers - During Operation Pillar of Cloud, commanders passed sensitive information and orders in real time through popular WhatsApp smartphone application. That said, cellphones were taken from soldiers at points of entry into Gaza out of fear of leaking their positions to Hamas. "The department of security information knows that Hamas and other organizations in Gaza have considerable capabilities: They try to do wiretaps and surveillance on cellphones and computers." (Maariv and NRG Hebrew)
- Egypt's Morsi grants himself far-reaching powers - The president issued constitutional amendments that placed him above judicial oversight and ordered the retrial of Hosni Mubarak for the killing of protesters in last year's uprising. (Agencies, Haaretz)
For the full News from Israel.