Amman Feeling Left Out
"So give it to the Environmental Protection Ministry."
--Chief Justice Asher Grunis's sarcastic response to the State's lawyer, who could not explain why the Housing Ministry is in charge of hiring private security to guard settler enclaves in E. Jerusalem. Palestinians petitioned the court to end the use of private guards.
- Polish minister refuses to meet Israeli envoy over West Bank controversy- After Israel's Civil Administration destroyed Palestinian cisterns repaired by a Polish group, criticism of Israel increases in Polish media. (Haaretz+)
- King Abdullah: Israelis, Palestinians to meet in Jordan - Al-Hayat newspaper reports Jordan's King Abdullah II endorses resumption of peace process under US's auspices; slams Egypt's Morsi for marginalizing Amman. (Ynet)
- IDF seeks to clarify rules of engagement - Military aims to meet soldiers' demand for clear guidelines for engaging rioters in West Bank, following troops' complaints that their 'hands are tied.' (Ynet)
- Soldier, who is resident of [extremist settlement] Yitzhar: I won't follow rules of engagement - Yochai Maayan, who went AWOL from draft service a month ago, uploaded a video to Youtube in which he declares if he is assaulted by a crowd of Palestinians he will open fire. (NRG Hebrew +VIDEO)
- Israel green agency backs Palestinian farmers on West Bank wall - A letter of support from the Nature and Parks Authority was part of a petition heard by the High Court to order the ministry to reroute the planned barrier away from Battir village, south of Jerusalem. (Agencies, Haaretz)
- 'Non-Orthodox Diaspora Jews do not feel wanted in Israel' - Following a trip to the U.S., Rabbi Yuval Cherlow, one of Israel's most prominent Zionist Orthodox rabbis: Many non-Orthodox Diaspora Jews do not want to identify with Israel "because of the occupation, the racism, the control of another people by force." He suggests a re-examination of the line between Halachic rulings and state policies. (Israel Hayom)
- Gaza's tunnels rebound from Israeli offensive - Palestinians work around the clock to rebuild network of underground smuggling tunnels severely hit during Operation Pillar of Defense. (Agencies, Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.