What Differentiates Kerry From Hagel
"The State clearly failed in the investigation."
--Attorney Avigdor Feldman remarks after a court ruled yesterday that the State will recompense his two Arab-Israeli clients for wrongfully accusing and imprisoning them for eight months for a murder they did not commit after their friend implicated them under duress.
- [Far] Right-wingers charged with 'spying' on IDF let off with plea bargain - The suspects, all residents of W. Bank settlements, are: Akiva Hacohen, 27; David Eliyahu, 19; Effi Chaikin, 20; Elad Meir, 35; and Meir Ettinger, 20, grandson of the late Kach leader, Meir Kahane. They were given lighter convictions and sentences due to evidentiary problems that emerged during the legal proceedings. (Haaretz+ and Israel Hayom)
- Tzavta theater to revise controversial rock opera - "Mami" deals with political issues, such as the occupation, discrimination and militarism. The Beit Zvi School of the Performing Arts created a storm 6 months ago when it tried to invite IDF soldiers to a revised version of the opera - the IDF turned it down. (Haaretz+)
- Hamas bars Palestinian journalists in Gaza from working with Israeli media - According to the decision made at a government meeting, Palestinians are forbidden from cooperating with 'Zionist media due to its hostility.' (Haaretz+)
- Israel to ease Gaza ban on construction material - Palestinian official says private companies, individuals now allowed to import previously restricted construction materials following Egyptian-mediated truce deal between Hamas, Israel. Defense Ministry: More eases if calm persists. (Agencies, Ynet)
- Arab league chief, ministers to visit Ramallah to discuss aid - "The Arab delegation's visit to Ramallah is the first of its kind and will look into various issues, most importantly financial support for the Palestinian Authority in light of Israel's decision to withhold Palestinian funds," says Arab League source. (Agencies, Israel Hayom)
- Jews, pro-Israel community warm to prospect of John Kerry as U.S. secretary of state - What differentiates Kerry from Sen. Chuck Hagel, pro-Israel officials say, is his willingness to engage even when he disagrees and his familiarity with the issues. (JTA, Haaretz)
For the full News from Israel.