The EU's New Mideast Peace Plan
"No longer will Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz be able to compare Israel favorably to Europe...No longer can Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu engage in wordplay about growth and employment."
--Haaretz's Nehemia Shtrasler takes the government to task for the enormous budget deficit revealed yesterday.
- EU working on new Mideast peace plan - British, French FMs preparing plan to restart talks between Israel, Palestinians to be presented in March. 'It will drive us into a corner,' say Israeli officials. (Yedioth/Ynet)
- Member of Israel's higher education council resigns over West Bank university recognition - In letter to Education Minister Sa'ar, Ora Limor says council's accreditation of Ariel University shows it is 'political tool' instead of being a barrier between politics and higher education system. (Haaretz+)
- Beersheba country club forbids Bedouin from praying - Heated argument erupts when Rahat resident told by gym manager he can't pray on grounds, should 'go to Ahmad Tibi.' (Ynet)
- Palestinian prime minister urges Arabs to pay pledged aid - Fayyad tells Arab League members financial crisis could lead to the disintegration of Palestinian Authority; says tax rebates frozen by Israel amount to 1/3 monthly operating costs. (Agencies, Ynet)
- Powell says Hagel 'doesn't have to agree with Israel on everything' - Former U.S. Secretary of state defends Obama's choice for Defense Secretary; says he is a 'very strong supporter of Israel,' but should have said 'Israeli lobby,' not 'Jewish lobby.' (Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.