The News From Israel
02.01.13 2:30 PM ET
Damaging Israel's Legitimacy
Taking human life without justification damages the legitimacy of the IDF's actions in the territories, in the eyes of both Israeli society and the international community.
--Maj. Gen. Nitzan Alon, head of the Israel Defense Force's Central Command, writes a letter to his officers, asking them to show restraint instead of shooting Palestinians, Haaretz reports.
- Lapid: Most Israelis support a two-state solution - In interview with U.S. TIme magazine, Lapid also predicts he will be prime minister one day. (NRG Hebrew)
- Netanyahu's cabinet secretary Zvi Hauser to resign - Announcement comes after Zvi Hauser, who was one of three officials to inform attorney general of Natan Eshel's alleged sexual harassment, chose not submit candidacy for Likud Knesset list. (Haaretz+)
- Rabbi Ovadia Yosef hints at compromise on ultra-Orthodox IDF draft -Shas spiritual leader in letter to President Shimon Peres: 'Not every Haredi is entitled to exemption from military service'; Bennett tells president during their consultations that he recommends tapping Netanyahu to form next coalition. (Haaretz+)
- Shas Minister Yishai: We'll give up ministry for yeshivas - Shas party leader says religious party 'must join next coalition' to 'prevent rift in the nation.' (Ynet)
- U.S. Jewish donor to Upper Nazareth threatens to cut funding after mayor opposes Arab school - Don Green says the Israeli town should heed local demands and build a school for Arab children. (Haaretz+)
- (Immigrant) Absorption Ministry: Jewish Agency activities encourage Israelis who emigrated to stay abroad - Ministry claims the investment in creating community frameworks for Israelis who left Israel harms the efforts to bring them back. (Maariv, p. 8)
- Israel falls near bottom of press freedom rankings - The Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index ranked Israel 112 out of 179 countries, 20 spots lower than last year, due largely to Operation Pillar of Defense and a new ranking methodology. (Haaretz+))
For the full News from Israel.