"...We are sowing racism and reaping hatred. Add the disregard for human life to this mixture, and it's amazing that only now we are seeing a concerning growth in the number of nationalistically-motivated acts of violence by Jews against Arabs."
--Yedioth commentator Smadar Shir writes about the origins of racism among Jews.
- Defendant in racism case: Son of a police woman - Indictment for price-tag acts was filed yesterday against Dor Oved, the son of a policewoman and a man working in security services. Oved, from Mevasseret Tsiyon, was caught while vandalizing Palestinian cars. He kicked a policeman and called him a 'Nazi.' Only six months ago, he was sentenced to two months in prison for other price-tag acts and threats against Peace Now activists. (Yedioth, p. 40) (Note: Blogger Richard Silverstein identifies his father as a Shin Bet agent.)
- Attacked Arab-Israeli woman: We'll die on this land - Nazareth woman who was spat on by Jewish teens tells Ynet incident not her first encounter with racism. (Ynet)
- Arab youth attacked female students from Yokneam - The Jewish female students were visiting the Arab town of Sakhnin as part of a co-existence exchange program. After the girls got on the bus to return home, stones were thrown at the bus. The principal of the Sakhnin school sent a letter apologizing for the "shameful incident." (Maariv, p. 16, NRG Hebrew)
- (Arab) National Service recruiter denounced as 'traitor' - Arab woman who successfully enlisted 360 Arab youths to National Service subjected to harassment, social isolation by community. (Yedioth, p. 38/Ynet)
- Yadlin: Senior U.S. officials support Pollard's release - Former Military Intelligence chief Maj. Gen. (res.) Amos Yadlin signs petition to free jailed Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard. Says senior U.S. officials back notion sentence is "disproportionate." Over 125,000 people have signed petition to release Pollard. (Israel Hayom)
- Gallup poll: Americans least favorable toward Iran - Nearly nine in 10 Americans have an unfavorable view of Iran, making it the worst rated country out of 22 asked about. Israel is "above water" — although it is not at the top of the list, it engenders attitudes from Americans that are much more favorable than unfavorable, the survey found. (Israel Hayom)
For the full News from Israel.
Matthew Kalman broke the story of physicist Stephen Hawking’s boycott of Israel. Then Cambridge University tried to falsely deny it.