"Ten years ago I walked around barefoot in Ethiopia and did not dream I would be in such a powerful situation."
--Israel's 2013 beauty queen, Yityish (Titi) Aynaw, after a surprising invitation from the US President.
- Palestinian youth killed by IDF fire in clashes near Hebron - This is the eighth Palestinian to die from IDF fire in the West Bank over the last four months; violence increased there by 70 percent during the month of February. (Haaretz+ Ynet and Maan)
- Four Israeli teens charged with attacking Arab worker on Tel Aviv promenade - Police say one of the teens hit the Arab man from Jaffa, broke a bottle on his head, and punched him in the face repeatedly while he was on the ground. (Haaretz+ and Ynet)
- "Appointment of MK Uri Ariel as Minister of Housing could wipe out chances for peace" - (Pro-settler) Habayit Hayehudi MK Uriel responded to remark by United Nations Special Coordinator to the Middle East Robert Serry saying: "A gross intervention in Israeli sovereignty." Serry was speaking at a meeting with members of the grassroots organization, Other Voice. (Maariv, p. 3/NRG Hebrew)
- PA says had no choice but to reject Israel asylum claim - The Palestinian Authority defended its refusal to assist an Israeli man's request for political asylum on Monday, saying Palestine was unable to offer protection for the time being. (Maan)
- World Bank report: Palestinian economy has been in steady decline since 1994 - Israeli-imposed economic restrictions and prolonged system of closures directly caused the long-term decline, the report says; however numbers seem positive in context of the global crisis. (Haaretz+)
- Ariel University students not invited to Obama speech - Despite recognition as official Israeli educational institution, West Bank university students not amongst those to attend US presidential event in Jerusalem. MK: US gov't taking unilateral stance. (Yedioth/Ynet)
- High Court: State must explain infiltration law - Judges to issue order nisi instructing State to explain why it is not rescinding infiltration prevention law which allows state to detain illegal infiltrators indefinitely. (Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.
Yaakov Katz on what the delivery of advanced Russian missiles would mean for Israel.