cool artifacts

04.24.13

A Glimpse into the Oklahoma City of 1913

Video screenshot

The First Lutheran Church of Oklahoma City dug up a time capsule chest that had been buried in double concrete walls and under 12 inches of concrete exactly 100 years ago.

The Ladies Aide Society, the church group responsible for the project, buried the chest on April 22, 1913 and left detailed instruction on how to exhume it. Inside were items such as a man’s suit; a woman’s dress, hat, and shoes (which were still shining); a copy of the daily newspaper from April 22, 1913; a telephone; an original Oklahoma state flag; and a pen used by President William McKinley.

The contents of the time capsule will be displayed at the Oklahoma Historical Society.