Israeli Knesset Revives 'Non-democratic' Campaign Against Left-wing NGOs
“Restrictions of this type exist only in nondemocratic regimes."
--Meretz party chief MK Zahava Gal-On responds to bill by pro-settler Habayit Hayehudi to restrict foreign donations to left-wing NGOs.
- Knesset revives attempt to restrict foreign funding of left-wing NGOs - Bill would restrict groups that call for boycotting Israel or indicting IDF soldiers and those that say Israel violated international law from raising funds from foreign sources. (Haaretz+)
- More than 70% of Israelis think Kerry won't relaunch peace talks - Latest Peace Index poll: Most Israelis favor peace negotiations with the Palestinians but don't think talks will occur. 67% of Israeli Jews think PA doesn't want to resume talks. 29% of Israeli Jews believe negotiations will bring peace in coming years. (Israel Hayom)
- Israel warns Arab diplomats against 'bashing' at UN nuclear meeting - Arab countries, angry at lack of movement in efforts to move toward a Middle East free of nuclear weapons, have warned they plan to target Israel for criticism at the UN atomic agency's annual member state gathering in September. (Agencies, Haaretz)
- Israel's new Jewish identity initiative based on fascist values, consultant warns - Nascent Jewish Identity Administration in the Religious Services Ministry names its goal as 'creating of a wave of awareness to strengthen love for the Jewish homeland', but doctoral student and veteran teacher Nadav Berman Shifman brought into the planning process says it could spark 'a hostile ideological takeover of Israel’s public education system.' (Haaretz+)
- New Christian Arab party seeks to change face of Israeli society - "The New Alliance" supports national service, including in the military, and recognizes Israel as the home of the Jewish people. "We are completely Israeli, and then comes religion," says party founder Bashara Shlayan of Nazareth. (Israel Hayom)
- Israel agrees to help Palestinian soccer? - FIFA President Sepp Blatter says Prime Minister Netanyahu promised to try to solve Palestinian footballers' travel restrictions. Problem is of 'national interest' to Israel, Blatter adds. (Agencies, Ynet+VIDEO)
- Fragment of ancient Egyptian sphinx discovered in northern Israel - Fragment bears a hieroglyphic instruction mentioning King Mycerinus, who ruled Egypt some 3,400 years ago, and was one of the builders of the Giza Pyramids. (Haaretz+ and Israel Hayom)
For the full News from Israel.