06.20.14 11:37 AM ET
Peaches Geldof's Tragic Last Interview: "I’m going to die like my mother."
Peaches Geldof, the daughter of the Live Aid creator Sir Bob Geldof, who died of a heroin overdose earlier this year, eerily foretold her own death in her final interview, which was published today, and described heroin as "a bleak drug."
Peaches had struck up a relationship with writer William Todd Schultz, the author of a biography of the singer-songwriter Elliott Smith, a heroin and crack addict who died in 2003 of two stab wounds to the chest.
Over the course of several months, Schultz and Peaches developed a friendship through social media and, ultimately, Schultz had a two-hour phone interview with Peaches which took place "in the second half" of March, just days before she died on April 7.
Peaches, according to Schultz, described Philip Seymour Hoffman as a "total genius," adding, "Heroin is such a bleak drug. It always makes me so sad to hear about people like Hoffman who were real masters and also family men who were just wasted by the constant, gnawing obsession with it. All heroin users seem to have the same core internal pain, though. It’s a fascinating concept—drug of choice."
She told Schultz that she felt like a "character" saying, “It’s like I’m someone in a book. Your life, they keep telling you, is pre-ordained: 'I’m going to die like my mother, she’s going to end up like her mother.' And people expect you to spew these intimacies to them. Like you are in a church confessional. It’s an interview, not a therapy session.”
Hours before she died, Peaches posted a photo of herself with her mother, Paula Yates, who died of a heroin overdose.
The 25-year-old daughter of Bob Geldof and the late Paula Yates was found dead by her musician husband, Thomas Cohen, at their home in Wrotham, Kent, on April 7.
At an inquest in May, DCI Paul Fotheringham of Kent Police said recent heroin use was likely to have played a role in her death.
Geldof often spoke of the pressures of fame and said she felt people thought she would die in the same way as her TV presenter mother, who died from an accidental heroin overdose at her London home aged 41 in 2000.