Nightclub Fire Blamed on Flares

    Girls cry in front of a makeshift memorial outside the Kiss nightclub where a fire killed over 230 people in Santa Maria, Brazil, Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013. The repercussions of a tragic nightclub fire in southern Brazil widened Tuesday as mayors around the country cracked down on such venues in their own cities and investigators searched two other nightspots owned by a partner in the club that caught ablaze. Most of the dead were college students 18 to 21 years old, but they also included some minors.  (AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

    Mourning outside nightclub on Tuesday. (Felipe Dana/AP)

    Flares lit by a band playing at a Brazilian nightclub could have been the cause of the deadly fire that killed 234 people and injured at least 122 on Sunday, the chief police inspector said on Tuesday. What’s more, it may not be a simple tragic accident: Police Inspector Marcelo Arigony said that the flares were for outdoor use only and “the band knew that.” Arigony, whose cousin died in the fire, alleged that the outdoor flares were chosen because they cost $1.25 apiece—and the band did not want to pony up the $35 apiece for the flares approved for indoor use. “These guys even wore gloves on stage so they wouldn’t burn their hands,” Arigony said.

    Read it at CBS News