Content Section
EVIDENCE? Defense Tries to Block Zimmerman Calls Pool Photo by Joe Burbank/Reuters/Landov

Defense: Block Zimmerman's Calls

Prosecutors in George Zimmerman’s second-degree murder trial sought on Monday to have the self-appointed neighborhood vigilante’s previous calls to police be admitted into evidence, while the defense has tried to block them as irrelevant to the case at hand. Prosecutors played a tape of a previous call Zimmerman made to a non-emergency number, in which Zimmerman described 17-year-old Trayvon Martin as “up to no good.” Zimmerman offered to follow the teen, although the dispatcher said “You don’t need to do that.” Earlier on Monday, defense attorney Don West said he hoped the jury hadn’t heard of Zimmerman, using a knock-knock joke to illustrate his point. Nobody laughed.

June 25, 2013 6:47 AM