Zimmerman Found Not Guilty

    George Zimmerman arrives for his trial in Seminole circuit court in Sanford, Fla. Thursday, July 11, 2013. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin. (AP Photo/Orlando Sentinel, Gary W. Green, Pool)

    Pool photo by Gary W. Green

    George Zimmerman was found not guilty on Saturday night of all charges relating to the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. The jury had deliberated for 16 hours before reaching a verdict. Earlier in the day, the panel of six women asked for clarification on possible manslaughter charges, but were told to ask a more focused question and instead decided to keep deliberating. They came back with their verdict around 9 p.m, acquitting Zimmerman of both second-degree murder and manslaughter. Zimmerman, a self-appointed neighborhood watch volunteer, had confessed to shooting the teenager but claimed it was self-defense. However, Zimmerman may not yet be out of the woods, legally speaking. The Justice Department issued a statement on Sunday that indicates it will be reviewing whether Zimmerman can be prosecuted under federal criminal civil rights statutes. "Experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether ... prosecution is appropriate in accordance with the Department’s policy governing successive federal prosecution following a state trial," the statement said.

    He's a free man.
    Read it at The Daily Beast