Benghazi Suspect Reportedly Found Dead

    The U.S. Consulate in Benghazi is seen in flames during a protest by an armed group said to have been protesting a film being produced in the United States September 11, 2012. An American staff member of the U.S. consulate in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi has died following fierce clashes at the compound, Libyan security sources said on Wednesday. Armed gunmen attacked the compound on Tuesday evening, clashing with Libyan security forces before the latter withdrew as they came under heavy fire. REUTERS/Esam Al-Fetori (LIBYA - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL UNREST) - RTR37UVB

    Esam Al-Fetori/Reuters

    One of the most notorious suspects in the September 2012 Benghazi attacks has reportedly been found dead. CNN reported that locals in the Libyan town of Marj claim to have discovered the body of Faraj al-Shibli, though the story has not yet been independently verified. They say he was detained by the militia two days ago, and on Monday, they found his corpse. Shibli was reportedly previously detained in Libya in March 2013, and FBI officials were able to interview him in front of Libyan authorities. Ahmed Abu Khattala was arrested last month as the first of alleged Benghazi suspects to be charged with crimes and sent to the U.S. for a trial in federal court. Four Americans died in the September 11, 2012, Benghazi attacks, including Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens.

    Read it at CNN