Last updated on June 20, 2013 (for sales of digital subscriptions and paid products effective as of that date or thereafter)
These Terms of Sale provide the conditions for sale and purchase of digital subscriptions and other paid products to Newsweek Global, located at Newsweek.com. These Terms of Sale are a legal contract between you and The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company LLC (“NDB”), and by subscribing to Newsweek Global, you agree to be bound by this contract. Please read these Terms of Sale carefully before subscribing.
THIS AGREEMENT REQUIRES THE USE OF ARBITRATION ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS TO RESOLVE DISPUTES, RATHER THAN JURY TRIALS OR CLASS ACTIONS, AND ALSO LIMITS THE REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO YOU IN THE EVENT OF A DISPUTE.
1. GENERAL TERMS OF SALE
About Digital Subscriptions
• The term “digital subscription” refers to paid digital subscriptions to Newsweek Global. You can review the various Newsweek Global digital subscriptions here.
NDB reserves the right to modify the content, type, and availability of Newsweek Global digital subscriptions at any time.
Processing and Payment
• NDB activates your digital subscription at the time your payment is made and the terms starts immediately. We accept major credit cards.
• We reserve the right to reject any order or purchase at any time.
• If your initial payment authorization is later revoked, your subscription, product, or access will be terminated. Contact Customer Service at 1-800-631-1040 if you believe your access was terminated in error.
• Unless specified otherwise in the Cancellations and Refunds section below, all charges are nonrefundable.
• By purchasing a digital subscription or other paid product, you submit that all information provided during the order process is true and correct (including all credit card information), and that you are the authorized holder of the credit card.
• To view or change your payment method, visit the My Account section of Newsweek.com.
• When you purchase a digital subscription, the price will be specified during the order process. You agree to pay the price that is stated at the time of your order, as well as any applicable taxes. You also agree to the billing frequency stated at the time of your order.
• All prices are in United States Dollars.
• Discount eligibility is determined at the time of the order. Discounts cannot be applied retroactively.
• NDB reserves the right to change prices and fees at any time. We will notify you in advance if the regular rate of a subscription or product changes from what was stated at the time of your order. You will have the opportunity to accept the new price or cancel your subscription or purchase from that point forward.
• Applicable taxes may vary. We are not able to notify you in advance of changes in applicable taxes. For those Canadian customers charged GST/HST or QST, as applicable, the GST/HST registration number of The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company LLC is 84312 2607, and the QST registration number of The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company.
• If a stated price is determined by us in our sole discretion to be in error, we are not under any obligation to offer you the subscription or product at that price. We will notify you of the error and give you the opportunity to cancel your order and obtain a refund if payment already has been made.
• You may choose to access additional products that are not included in your subscription price (“paid products”) – for example, content from the Newsweek Global Archives. If you access additional products, you will be responsible for paying any additional charges. Any additional charges will be clearly described during the order process.
• When you use your digital subscription on a mobile device or a computer, you may incur charges from your service provider, such as telecommunications fees or data fees. These fees are not included in your subscription, and you are responsible for paying them separately.
• If you believe someone else has used your account or you are being charged for a product you do not have, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-631-1040.
Billing for Digital Subscriptions
• We will charge or debit your payment method at the beginning of your digital subscription or, if applicable, at the end of your free trial period. ; Billing will continue according to the cycle stated at the time of your order. To view information about your billing cycle, visit the My Account section of Newsweek.com.
• All Newsweek Global digital subscriptions are renewed automatically. By clicking “Subscribe Now,” when you purchase a digital subscription, you authorize us to renew your digital subscription automatically and to charge you at the start of each new term until you cancel.
• When we renew your digital subscription, we will use the payment method currently associated with your account, which can be found in the My Account section of Newsweek.com.
• If you redeem a gift subscription and choose to extend your digital subscription at the time of redemption, your digital subscription will renew automatically. You can view your payment method at any time in the My Account section of Newsweek.com.
• You will not be notified in advance of upcoming renewals. Please see our policies on Cancellations and Refunds below for information about canceling.
Billing for One-Time Purchases
• When you purchase a standalone product, including articles from the Newsweek Global Archives and gift subscriptions, we will charge or debit your payment method at the moment of purchase.
• If your credit card expires or your payment method is otherwise invalid, your digital subscription will not automatically be terminated. You will remain responsible for all charges.
• You will be responsible for all costs we incur in connection with the collection of unpaid amounts, including court costs, attorneys’ fees, collection agency fees, and any other associated costs.
• From time to time, we may offer promotions. The specific terms of each promotion are stated at the time each promotion is offered. Each promotion may be different. Promotions cannot be combined.
• You are required to provide your payment details when you sign up for a promotion. At the end of the promotion, you will automatically be signed up for the related digital subscription that will begin at the end of the promotional period. We will not notify you in advance that the promotion is about to end. To cancel and avoid being charged, you must notify us before the promotion ends.
• If you have purchased your digital subscription or a product through a third party, these Terms of Sale may not apply to you. We are not liable to you for any claims related to purchases made through third parties. Please contact the third party directly.
• You are not authorized to access any digital subscriptions or other paid products unless you have opened a subscription account and paid the appropriate fee, have received access credentials (e.g., a username and password) from us, and are using those access credentials.
• Only family members living at the same residence may share each account or accounts (user name and password) associated with a digital subscription or paid product, unless we expressly agree otherwise in writing. You may not otherwise assist third parties in accessing digital subscriptions or paid products on an unauthorized basis, including by sharing your access credentials or providing any content or other materials that you obtained through a digital subscription or as a paid product.
• You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your access credentials and for all usage or activity on your digital subscription accounts, including the use of your digital subscription by any family member authorized by you to use your access credentials. Such responsibility expressly includes any purchases made or other charges incurred on your credit card in connection with your use (or an authorized third party’s use) of a digital subscription or paid product.
• In the event of any fraudulent, abusive, or otherwise illegal activity relating to your digital subscription or paid products, we may, in our sole discretion, terminate those accounts and refer you to appropriate law enforcement agencies. You may be responsible for damages from any such fraudulent, abusive, or otherwise illegal activity.
Mobile Access and Jurisdictional Availability
• Some components of digital subscriptions or other paid products may be accessible only using a particular kind of device – for example, an Apple iPad or an Amazon Kindle. You should investigate digital subscriptions or other paid products before you pay for access to them to ensure that they will work with your device because we will not refund any fees you paid if the digital subscription or paid product you ordered is not compatible.
• Certain components of digital subscriptions or paid products may not be available for use in every jurisdiction, and we will not refund any fees you paid if the digital subscription or paid product you ordered is not available.
• For information on compatibility and availability, please visit the applicable provider’s website or contact us at help [at] newsweekdailybeast.com before you subscribe or order.
Arbitration and Class Waiver
2. CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
Cancellation and Refunds of Digital Subscriptions
• You can cancel your digital subscription at any time by calling us at 1-800-631-1040. For international customers, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To the extent applicable, Group Subscription billing cycles and terms of cancellations may differ and would be governed by the terms set forth in the Group Subscription Purchase Order.
• We reserve the right to issue refunds or credits at our sole discretion. If we issue a refund or credit, we are under no obligation to issue the same or similar refund in the future.
Cancellation of Monthly Subscriptions
• When you cancel, you cancel only future charges associated with your digital subscription. You may notify us of your intent to cancel at any time, but the cancellation will become effective as of the billing cycle following the date of cancellation. You will not receive a refund for the current billing cycle. You will continue to have the same access and benefits of your product for the remainder of the current billing period.
Cancellation of Annual Subscriptions
• If you cancel within the first 11 months, your access and other benefits will end immediately and you will receive a refund prorated to the day of cancellation.
• If you cancel in the final 30 days, the cancellation will not take effect until the end of your current billing period.
Changes to Content or Access
• We reserve the right to make changes to our digital products at any time. If we temporarily reduce or eliminate the charge for content or access that you are currently paying for under different terms, you will not receive a refund.
Cancellations by NDB
• We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your subscription or product for any reason, with or without notice and without further obligation. You will not be entitled to a refund in these circumstances.
• You will not receive a refund if a portion or all of our digital products are temporarily unavailable.
Cancellation and Refunds of One-Time Purchases
• One-time purchases (e.g., gift subscriptions, single issues, etc.) cannot be canceled and no refunds will be issued.