Make Carla Hall’s Crispy Shallot Green Bean Casserole
With crispy shallots and grated parmesan, this delicious casserole—created by The Chew host—is perfect comfort eating on a cold day.
Prep time: 20 minutesCook time: 25 to 30 minutesServes: 6 to 8Skill Level: Easy
3 cups vegetable oilSalt, to taste4 shallots, 1 chopped and 3 thinly sliced, divided1 1/2 cups buttermilk1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided1/2 teaspoon cayenne1 1/2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed3 tablespoons butter2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced1 cup chicken stock1 cup half and halfFreshly ground black pepper, to taste2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat the vegetable oil in a large, high-sided cast iron skillet. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season liberally with salt. Place the thinly sliced shallots in a medium bowl and pour buttermilk over to coat. Toss the shallots to separate pieces and completely coat.
2. In another bowl or shallow dish, whisk together 1 cup of flour and the cayenne just until combined. Remove some shallots from the buttermilk and dredge in the seasoned flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and gently place in the heated oil. Fry until golden and crispy, about 1 minute. Using a heatproof slotted spoon, remove the shallots to a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt to taste. Fry the remaining sliced shallots in batches.
3. Prepare a large bowl with water and ice along with a strainer. Cook the green beans in the boiling water for 1 minute; then remove and immediately plunge into the ice bath. Allow beans to cool completely then remove to a paper towel-lined plate to dry.
4. While the beans are cooling and drying, melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped shallot and season with salt. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook just until fragrant, another minute. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into the pan and stir to coat shallots and garlic. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock, whisking out any lumps. Whisk in the half and half and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes or just until thickened. Stir in the cheese and remove from heat.
5. Combine the beans and onion sauce in a 9x9-inch casserole dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The liquid should reduce and thicken. Remove from the oven and top with crispy shallots. Cool slightly before serving.
From THE CHEW ©2014. Reprinted by permission of Kingswell/Disney Publishing Worldwide.