THE NEWS FROM ISRAEL
Putting Israel On The Map
"There will be the same check for everyone - Arabs and Jews as one. We are speaking of citizens of Israel and we cannot allow this discrimination."--Former prime minister Ehud Olmert told then Shin Bet chief to stop the humiliating racial profiling of Arab Israelis at Ben-Gurion Airport.
- Israeli Arabs fume at plans to reward schools for IDF enlistment - New program to incentivize schools according to a number of criteria including matriculation results, drop-out rates and absorption of special-education students, as well as a service to the State rate. (Haaretz+)
- Palestinians preparing for marches across Samaria (Northern W. Bank) - In honor of commemoration day for Yasser Arafat's death and the declaration 23 years ago of Palestinian independence, the Fatah youth group has announced plans to hold marches across Samaria. The IDF said it would prepare accordingly. (Maariv, p. 10 and NRG Hebrew)
- Request to give Hebrew names to streets in (Arab E. Jerusalem) Silwan neighborhood - Jerusalem mayor asked residents of E. Jerusalem neighborhoods to suggest names for the (many) unnamed streets. One request came to give biblical names to the streets in Silwan and officially name the area "City of David." (Maariv, p. 10)
- Economic solutions for families in the south are limited in scope - Employees and business owners can get help from government and non-governmental agencies in how to maintain work routines and manage businesses under constant threat of rocket fire, but economic solutions are mostly limited to receiving advice. (Israel Hayom)
- More Israelis seek psychological help due to rocket fire - Special care unit established to provide immediate treatment after rocket attack. Among cases reported: A 4-year-old boy says he is glad it is raining "because it extinguishes Qassam fire." (Israel Hayom)
- Jordanian textbooks put Israel on the map - Maps featured in two textbooks distributed among Jordanian school kids fail to mark Hashemite Kingdom, Palestine, but include Israel. (Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.