The News From Israel
Sheldon Adelson And Chuck Hagel
"I know it's not easy for an Arab player to pick up the gauntlet and play on a team that does not want him. But the time has arrived to say no to racism."--Leading Arab-Israeli sports commentator Zouheir Bahloul on whether Arabs should play on the racist Beitar Jerusalem soccer team.
- B'Tselem: IDF using deadly force on protesters - New report by human rights group claims Israeli security forces 'systematically violate' rules of engagement in West Bank. Ten Palestinians killed by 'less lethal' IDF weapons since 2005. IDF dismisses brief as 'one-sided, biased narrative.' (Ynet and Haaretz+)
- Hospital: Ariel Sharon responded to family photos, not in coma - Soroka medical officials say 'significant' activity detected in ex-PM's brain as he was shown photos of family members, heard recording of son's voice. (Ynet)
- Druze says 2 nightclubs racially discriminated against him - Rani Tarif, 27-year-old druze, says two clubs denied him entry because of ethnicity. 'I'm Israel's flesh and blood,' says enraged Tarif, IDF combat soldier. (Yedioth/Ynet)
- Letter found on terrorists: 'Al Aqsa Brigades claim responsibility' - IDF soldiers apprehend two Palestinian terrorists with grenades, firebombs; letter they carried read: 'Martyrs' Brigades claim full responsibility for bombing at Elon Moreh settlement.' (Ynet)
- No Lollapalooza in TA this summer - Music festival scheduled for August postponed until 2014 for logistical reasons. Some rumors about the cancellation being the result of more anti-Israeli boycotts. (Ynet)
- Sheldon Adelson invested in fight against Hagel, NYT reports - New York Times reports that secretly-funded groups are running advertisements against Obama's nominee for secretary of defense; while the Jewish billionaire is invested in the anti-Hagel fight, it is unclear whether he is behind the groups' efforts. (Haaretz+)
For the full News from Israel.