The News From Israel
Israeli Cabinet Minister and IDF General Celebrate Illegal Outpost Settlement
Orly Halpern rounds up the news from Israel.
"I know that only in the last two weeks there were three circumcisions here, so our answer to the European Commission is another circumcision, another birth, and another tree planted, another house and another community." --Habayit Hayehudi leader and Minister of Economy Naftali Bennett responds to the E.U. boycott of settlements at an illegal West Bank outpost celebrating its 10th anniversary.
- State gets two more weeks to file statement on expulsion of Palestinians from West Bank firing zone - High Court of Justice agrees to extend until July 29 the Israel State Prosecutor's Office deadline for responding to petitions against evictions from South Hebron Hills military firing zone. (Haaretz+)
- Israel's AG postpones evacuation of 30 houses in Amona outpost - Buildings were built without permits on privately owned Palestinian land. (Haaretz+ and Israel Hayom)
- IDF brigade commander guest of honor at illegal outpost's anniversary celebrations - Economy Ministers Naftali Bennett tells illegal settlement at event 'if this is not our home then I am homeless.' IDF defends Col. Yossi Pinto, says he's charged with security of Kida's residents. (Haaretz+)
- Three Gaza rockets shatter calm in southern Israel - No injuries or damage reported as residents of Eshkol region hear two explosions Thursday. EarlierThursday, a Qassam rocket fired toward Israel exploded inside Gaza. IDF deploys Iron Dome missile defense battery in Eilat as Sinai tensions flare. (Israel Hayom)
- Poll: Israelis are world’s biggest fans of U.S. drone strikes against terrorists - New Pew Research center poll finds that Israelis adore America and trust Obama, but Palestinians are hostile, Pakistanis prefer China and Egyptians really don’t like U.S. financial aid. (Haaretz+)
- Ashton urges EU to add Hezbollah to terror list - EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton floats plan to break deadlock among bloc's member nations, see Brussels blacklist Shiite terrorist group. Bulgarian foreign minister declares that Hezbollah was clearly behind deadly 2012 bus bombing in Burgas. (Agencies, Israel Hayom)
- Military police investigate video of soldier frying live bird - Video clip showing soldier abusing bird while friend watches gets storm of online response; army opens investigation, finds soldier. IDF spokesperson, ‘Serious case, not in line with IDF values.’ (Ynet+ VIDEO)
For the full News from Israel.