There was an unexpected outpouring of emotion for the Queen's husband, confined to a hospital bed on the biggest night of the Jubilee so far with a bladder infection, when a massive crowd of tens of thousands of revellers at a Jubilee concert in the Mall began chanting his name following an emotional speech by Prince Charles.
The sound of 'Phi-Lip! Phi-Lip!" rang out through the streets of London after Charles took to the stage, beginning his speech with the words, 'Your Majesty, mummy … the only sad thing about this evening is that my father couldn't be here with us because unfortunately he has been taken unwell. But if we shout loud enough he might just here us in Hospital."
The performers included Stevie Wonder - who caused an awakard moment when he wished the Queen happy birthday - and Sir Paul McCartney who advised guests: "After the Party's over, please leave in an orderly fashion or she will be forced to unleash the corgis."
Harry, William and Kate were all in the crowd as performers from every decade of the Queen's sixty year rule performed.
However, questions are inevitably being asked about the wisdom of asking a 91 year-old man, who had a heart attack just six months ago, to stand on an open-topped boat for four hours in freezing and wet conditions after the Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to hospital today in London with a bladder infection.
The Queen will now have to complete the rest of her Jubilee celebrations without her rock.
Buckingham Palace press officers insisted to the Daily Beast today that Philip's hospitalization was "not at all" connected to standing in the cold for four hours yesterday with limited access to toilet facilities, but the British Public, expressing their views on twitter, in private emails and on bulletin boards, are far from convinced.
A statement from the Palace insisted the hospitalization - at a private London hospital - was 'precautionary'.
The statement said that Philip will miss the rest of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, and added that the prince is "understandably, disappointed about missing this evening's Diamond Jubilee Concert and tomorrow's engagements".
Philip was driven this afternoon from Windsor Castle to the Edward the Seventh in London. He'll now stay there for a few days being assessed and treated with antibiotics intravenously.
Although Philip appeared in good spirits yesterday, and seemed to be one of the members of the Royal family most enjoying the event, he did wince on several occasions.
The Queen went ahead an joined 12,000 others at the Jubilee concert at the palace.
The prince, who had treatment for a blocked coronary artery in December and turns 91 on Sunday, will also miss today's major ceremonial events, including a horse-drawn procession through London and the national service of thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral. The duke was due to travel with his wife in the lead carriage, it remains to be seen whether Charles will now take his place.
The concert closedwith a fireworks display and a fanfare from the Cold Stream Guards followed by Robbie Williams's opening number Let Me Entertain You.
Take That star Gary Barlow, who has helped organise much of the concert, said the prince's illness was "sad, really sad".
Ahead of the the concert, Sir Paul McCartney said: "I hope he's okay. We all send our best wishes for a speedy recovery - I hear it's not too bad."