Boycotting the Oscars
"We act, in this context, as if we live in Switzerland, and we don't try to assimilate into the Middle East."
--Tzipi Liebman, President of the Kibbutz Seminar College, looks at the reasons behind the drop in interest among Jewish Israelis to study Arabic.
- Half of Israelis 'fear for the state's existence' if war breaks out with Iran -Something has evidently happened to Israelis' famed self-confidence: Only 1/4 of those questioned said they do not fear for the state's future in scenario in which Israel and Iran go to war. (Haaretz)
- Ahead of UN speech, Netanyahu says Israelis united behind him in preventing a nuclear Iran - Responding to Ahmadinejad's speech, Israeli prime minister laments the fact that 'the tyrannical regime' was given an audience on Yom Kippur. (Haaretz+)
- High Court rejects Gaza students' petition to study in West Bank - Israel has barred Gaza residents from studying in the West Bank since 2000, and in the 12 years since has only allowed three Gaza residents to study at universities in the West Bank. (Haaretz+)
- Hundreds of Jews hurl rocks at cars (belonging to Palestinians and hospitals) in Jerusalem - Eyewitnesses claim that policemen who arrived on the scene did nothing to stop the rock-throwing. (Haaretz+)
- Boy's death ignites rare anti-Hamas protests in Gaza - Demonstrators at refugee camp where toddler died in fire during power outage chant 'down with regime.' Protester: Don't fear being clubbed by policemen. (Ynet)
- Iran official urges boycott of 2013 Oscars - In wake of anti-Islam video, head of government-controlled cinema agency says Islamic Republic should 'avoid' sending candidate for Hollywood festival's foreign film category. (Agencies, Ynet)
- 'Savage' jihad ad debuts in NYC - Ad comparing Islamic jihad with savagery debuts in Big Apple. Sponsored by Israel American Freedom Defense Initiative, ads to stay up for one month. (Agencies, Ynet)
For the full News from Israel.