The News From Israel
10.17.12 1:00 PM ET
Number of the day: 2,279.
--Number of calories Israel calculated were enough to avoid causing the Palestinians in Gaza to starve. (Haaretz+)
- Dempsey to arrive in Israel to observe joint U.S.-Israel exercise - U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman's visit will be his second this year; will also meet with senior Israeli officials. (Haaretz+ and Israel Hayom)
- Moshe Dayan's gravesite vandalized - On the anniversary of the Yom Kippur War, former army chief's gravestone spray-painted with the words "The minister of disaster, in the name of those who fell." Daughter Yael Dayan: I hope they find the person who did it. (Israel Hayom)
- Qatar funds major project to rebuild Gaza - The $254 million plan, due to begin within three months, is largest injection of reconstruction aid to Gaza since parts of it were left in ruins by Operation Cast Lead. (Agencies, Haaretz)t)
- Netanyahu: Any change in Egypt-Israel peace accord would undermine whole treaty - In a meeting with EU ambassadors, the prime minister expressed little sympathy with voices in Egypt calling for a review of the peace accord with Israel. (Haaretz+)
- Netanyahu: EU sanctions will prove effective if Iran stops nuclear program - Speaking to European Union envoys in Israel, premier commends decision to impose new measures on Islamic Republic; measures target Iran's banking, shipping, and industrial. (Haaretz)
For the full News from Israel.