The Independent Rundown, November 4
The day’s essential reads for independents and centrists.
Independent Nation gives you the day’s five essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “What’s Really at Stake in Election 2012,” at CNN.When you go to the polls on Tuesday, do you want to reward hyperpartisan, factually flawed narratives; total opposition as a congressional tactic; and unprecedented, toxic dark money ad buys?
2. “The Smearing of a President: From Start, Unrelenting, Unfair,” in The Philadelphia Inquirer To attempt to disgrace a sitting president of the United States with lies and innuendo does not an American patriot make.
3. “November’s Crucial Ballot Initiatives,” at The Daily Beast.From same-sex marriage to the legalization of marijuana, John Avon on the straight-to-voters questions that could change state laws dramatically this Election Day.
4. “Some Voters Are Spelling Out Their Indecision On Their Donation Checks,” in The New York Times.Too bad for these guys that in presidential politics you can’t just buy one of each.
5. “The Road to 270,” in The Economist.Wherein the magazine does a decent job of adding up all the swing-state chatter and sorting out who needs to win what.