Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Votes of Independents Could Be Key,” in The Wall Street Journal.
A new Wall Street Journal / NBC News poll shows Mitt Romney leading 47 percent to 40 percent among independent voters.
2. “Dark Money Group’s Donors Revealed,” at ProPublica.
A Montana judge drew back the curtain on a social welfare nonprofit called Western Tradition Partnership. Should Karl Rove be shaking in his boots?
3. “Independent and Centrist Voters Breaking With Precedent,” at CNN.
There’s a fascinating dynamic in the way the final polls are breaking, John Avlon writes at CNN: “Mitt Romney is narrowly winning independent voters while President Obama is winning centrist voters by a nearly 20-point margin.”
4. “It’s the Future vs. the Past,” at The Daily Beast.
In Obama’s corner are the under-30 crowd, women under 50, and black and Hispanic voters, John Avlon writes. In Romney’s corner: white men and the elderly.
5. “A Voting Debacle in Doral Causes Chaos and Confusion,” in The Miami Herald.
When the Miami-Dade elections department decided to allow more early voting, chaos ensued.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.