Independent Nation gives you the day's five essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Rove Piling-On Continues As He Rings Donors Today,” at Bloomberg News.
Rove’s sugar daddies morph into loan sharks.
2. “Alan Simpson: Leaders Know What to Do, Now Do It,” in The Wall Street Journal.
One half of America’s crusading debt-reduction duo tells recalcitrant pols to, you know, do something.
3. “GOP Challenge: How to Transcend Aging White Base,” in The National Journal.
Republicans are desperately seeking their non-white friends.
4. “Adviser: Romney ‘Shellshocked’ By Loss,” at CBS News.
False confidence in Mitt’s camp caused missteps in the final weeks.
5. “Meet the Republican Losers Who Make it Really Hard to Spin a ‘No Mandate’ Narrative,” at Slate.
Spin away, Karl – a look at the Republicans who got trounced makes voters’ intentions clear.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.