Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Election a Call for Purple Politics,” at CNN.
The voters spoke loud and clear, writes John Avlon: Give us a bi-partisan government.
2. “Americans Favor Regulations More Than Romney Bargained For,” at Bloomberg News.
Adios, regulations on the financial industry? No thanks, Mitt.
3. “Rightbloggers’ Solution to Obama’s Reelection: Bring Back Culture War and White People!” at The Village Voice.
Bloggers on the right thought that if only they believed hard enough, Mitt Romney might become president.
4. “Media Fight on the Right Over GOP,” at Politico.
How will the far right respond to criticism of its media darlings?
5. “Bush Adviser Threatens to Cut Out Republicans’ Tongues,” at Salon.
If they keep mouthing off about rape.
Send stories for the Independent Rundown to Matt DeLuca at firstname.lastname@example.org . Follow him on Twitter: @DeLucaMattS.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.