Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Tom Ricks to MSNBC: You’re Just Like Fox, Only Not As Good At It,” at The Washington Post.
The veteran reporter speaks truth to left- and right-wing media alike.
2. “Tom Cole: Join With President Obama on Quick Deal,” at Politico.
The Republican rep wants lawmakers to extend the Bush tax cuts, and haggle over the rest later.
3. “The Coming Filibuster War,” at The Daily Beast.
Nothing is more needed than filibuster reform, writes Michael Tomasky.
4. “The Man Who Changed Baseball Forever,” at CNN.
John Avlon on the passing of baseball legend Marvin Miller, who changed the face of the game forever.
5. “Chuck Hagel Being Vetted for National Security Post,” at Foreign Policy.
The co-chair of the president’s Intelligence Advisory Board is reportedly under consideration for a top administration security gig.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.