Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Inside the Talks: Fiscal Framework Emerges,” at Politico.
Off-camera, a deal on tax hikes and spending cuts may be slowly coming together.
2. “Can This Party Be Saved?” at Time.
The Republican failure is one of policy.
3. “Welcome to the Conspiracy Carnival,” at The New York Times.
Fact-anemic conspiracies make up the biggest tents in American politics these days.
4. “Deadline Artists: Scandal, Tragedies and Triumphs,” at the New York Journal of Books.
Fish wrapping lives forever. A review of the new volume of newspaper columns co-edited by John Avlon, Jesse Angelo, and Errol Louis.
5. “Revenge of the Reality-Based Community,” at The American Conservative.
The sleep of political reason brings forth conservative monsters.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.