Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Will the Second-Term Quicksand Swallow Barack Obama?” at The Daily Beast.
Presidencies are not fine wines, and rarely improve with age, writes John Avlon.
2. “Team of Rivals,” at The Daily Beast.
With staggering amounts of recovery aid on the line, will the Christie-Cuomo bromance hold? David Freedlander reports.
3. “A Morning-After Constitutional,” at The Economist.
Will congressmen and women who fought off dark money move to regulate it?
4. “Bring on the Fiscal Cliff,” at The Daily Beast.
Bring it on, says Megan McArdle.
5. “What Karl Rove Got Right,” at Businessweek.
Will the Republicans crawl back to Rove? Maybe they should.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.