Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “Who Will Haley Pick to Replace DeMint,” at The Daily Beast.
John Avlon runs down the contenders as Gov. Nikki Haley prepares to decide on a replacement for Jim DeMint.
2. “Fox’s Correspondent on Front Lines With Obama,” at the Associated Press.
Admits that his network overplayed its Benghazi coverage.
3. “Is Stephen Colbert Running for the U.S. Senate?” at USA Today.
A spokesman for the comedian dances around the question.
4. “The Crisis of the Republican Brand,” at The Daily Beast.
Doug Schoen and Jessica Tarlov on how the GOP is losing the fiscal cliff debate.
5. “One Month Later: 30 Post-Election Rebuilding Tips From Republicans,” at Talking Points Memo.
The great Republican rebuilding project continues.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.