Independent Nation gives you the day’s 5 essential reads for independents and centrists:
1. “2012 Election Ended With Deluge of Donations and Spending,” at The New York Times.
The dark money taps were opened wide as the 2012 election cycle came to a close.
2. “The Dick Morris/Newsmax Super PAC Boondoggle,” at Media Matters.
Seems the pundit may have saved some money over the election cycle to burn through while he sits out at Fox.
3. “Obama Wins Again,” at The Daily Beast.
The fiscal cliff fight can play out in different ways, writes Robert Shrum, but Obama will win.
4. “Mr. President, Don’t Even Think About It,” at The Dish.
Will the Feds push back on pot?
5. “The Drug Benefit Fiasco,” at The Daily Beast.
Daniel Gross on the fiscal cliff hostage situation, day 31.
Last week's tragic fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, has brought the issue of government regulation back to the forefront. On Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher, The Daily Beast's Political Director John Avlon denounces deregulation rhetoric.
The strange, opaque world of politically minded nonprofits. By John Avlon and Michael Keller.