The Changing Palestinian Mood
"Once, Gaza wanted to be part of the West Bank. Today the West Bank wants to be part of Gaza."
--Senior Fatah leader tells Yedioth how the mood of Palestinians has changed.
- Significant jump in requests to serve in Kfir Brigade (W. Bank-based unit -OH) - In November, twice as many soldiers requesting Kfir as there were available places. The Brigade, which was founded only 7 years ago, attributes this partly to the fact that in last 1.5 years, the brigade operated in Lebanon and Gaza area. (NRG Hebrew)
- Draft orders instead of 'price-tag' for 'Hilltop youth' - Following a series of meetings, the commander of Bakum (the IDF draft center) succeeded in changing the views of the youth about the state and the military. Dozens have already been drafted into combat units, some in elite units. (Maariv, p. 11/NRG Hebrew)
- The secret trip of the Military Intel chief - General Aviv Kochavi returned from a visit in Europe where Israel and the West are discussing how to prevent Syria's chemical weapons from falling into enemy hands. (Yedioth, p. 12)
- Israel's High Court orders state to find alternative to separation fence at West Bank village - Battir's 5,000 residents own about 3,000 dunams on the Israeli side of the Green Line. (Haaretz+)
- The 'parliament' in the (Arab-Israeli city of) Umm al-Fahm votes for Livni- Hatnua party is the surprising star of the regulars at the local coffee shops. Haneen Zouebi? "She doesn't represent us. We oppose racism from both sides." Some of them voting for Hadash. "We support Jewish-Arab fraternity." (Maariv, p. 10/NRG Hebrew)
For the full News from Israel.