Queen to Visit London Terror Attack Site
The Queen is to go ahead with a planned visit to an army base in Woolwich next week, close to the scene of yesterday's fatal terrorist attack on an unarmed, off-duty British soldier.
A Buckingham Palace spokesman told the Royalist this morning that there had “absolutely not” been any question of cancelling the “long-planned” trip to the King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery at Woolwich Barracks next week, despite the horrifying scenes in London yesterday when two men murdered a soldier in broad daylight then waited twenty minutes for the police to arrive while encouraging passers-by to film the scene on their phones.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said, “The Queen was of course concerned when she heard the news of the developments in Woolwich and is being kept informed.”
David Cameron said this morning that it was ‘clear’ the best way to ‘defeat terror’ was to continue normal life.
The man who was murdered appears to have been targeted because he was wearing a “Help For Heroes” t-shirt.
The well-known military charity which supports injured servicemen has been extensively supported by the Royal Family, with Princes William and Harry opening a new rehab centre for the charity earlier this week.
And when Harry was in the US earlier this month his stated purpose was to raise the profile and raie funds for charities like H4H which help with the rehabilitation of injured troops.
Help for Heroes was set up in 2007 to support the growing number of servicemen and women returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with life-changing injuries.
In a speech at the opening of the new rehab centre on Monday, William said: "This place – and what Help for Heroes and its partners have done here – makes Harry and me very, very proud."