Do you feel a disturbance in the force? You should, because we’re only 21 months away from the release of Star Wars: Episode VII. The film will take place about 30 years after Return of the Jedi, and will “star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces.” And while there are rumors floating around, one thing is certain: Disney plans on releasing a new Star Wars movie every year starting in 2015. Because clearly nothing can go wrong with pumping out film after blockbuster film of a beloved franchise.
Here's what we (sort of) know:
1. Lupita Nyong’o met with JJ Abrams before the Oscars, and is rumored to be in the running for the female lead, possibly as a descendent of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
2. Adam Driver has been all but confirmed to be the Vader-like villain.
3. Breaking Bad and Friday Night Light’s Jesse Plemons has been rumored to be the male lead.
4. Also in the running for the male lead: Downton Abbey’s Ed Speleers, John Boyega, Matthew James Thomas, and Ray Fisher.
5. Michael Fassbender met with JJ Abrams to discuss a role, but it probably won’t be for Episode VII.
6. Hugo Weaving has also reportedly met for the role of “Imperial Commander.”
7. Michael B. Jordan says he auditioned.
8. Gary Oldman and Benedict Cumberbatch may have both been after the same role—and both may have been cast.
9. Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill are all coming back.
10. There may be a female Sith bad guy.
11. There’s a search for 7-foot actors, which could signal a Wookie.
12. Billy Dee Williams may return. Which means everyone wins.
13. The film was originally supposed to follow the offspring of Luke, Leia and Han, but has reportedly since been rewritten to focus on the original trilogy characters. (Time travel? JJ sure does love doing that.)
14. We may finally see the Sith home planet.
15. Lawrence Kasdan is a co-writer. He did The Empire Strikes Back. This is a good thing.
16. The film might begin with the reconstruction of the Republic, now that the Empire has fallen.
17. John Williams will compose the score. (This movie wouldn’t feel right without the “Imperial March.”)
18. It was reportedly that the film will focus on twins, and “which will take a path towards darkness and which will follow in their father’s footsteps.” Which could be a reference not to Luke and Leia, but to Jacen and Jaina Solo—Han and the Leia’s kids. For those who haven’t read Star Wars fiction, Jacen eventually chooses the dark side and turns into Darth Caedus.
Excited, you will get.