Cops: Thousands of Hacking Victims

    In  this image made from television, Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers gives evidence to The House of Commons Home Affairs Committee regarding recent phone hacking allegations, in London, Tuesday July 12, 2011. Akers, who is leading the new hacking investigation, told the committee that documents gathered in the first investigation in 2006-2007 had yielded 3,870 names, 5,000 landline numbers and 4,000 mobile numbers which may potentially have been hacked. So far, she said, police had contacted 170 potential targets of hacking by the newspaper out of some 4,000 names.(AP Photo/pa) UNITED KINGDOM OUT: NO SALES: NO ARCHIVE:

    AP Photo

    One hundred and seventy down, 3,700 to go. Scotland Yard said Tuesday that they’ve contacted fewer than 200 alleged victims of phone hacking by the News of the World, revealing the enormous scope of the investigation. Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers said there are 11,000 pages of evidence in the Scotland Yard’s possession, with 5,000 landline phones and 4,000 mobile phones. The inquiry, known as Operation Weeting, has been going on for six months and is staffed by 45 full-time detectives. Akers said they aim to contact all the victims, and she asked that media organizations that have any evidence of phone hacking to share that information with police. The investigation could take years to complete.

    Read it at Daily Telegraph