OFFICIAL

Norway Shooter Declared Insane

Scanpix Norway / Reuters

Norwegian Anders Behring Breivik (L), the man accused of a killing spree and bomb attack in Norway, sits in the rear of a vehicle as he is transported in a police convoy as he is leaving the courthouse in Oslo July 25, 2011. A judge ordered eight weeks detention on Monday for Breivik who has admitted a bombing and shooting massacre that killed about 90 people and who claimed in court to have two more groups of collaborators. Custody, in line with prosecutors' request, will allow them to investigate the case against Breivik, 32, an anti-Islamic zealot who has previously claimed sole responsibility for Friday's attacks. The custody can be extended.

Norway shooting suspect Anders Breivik was declared insane Tuesday by state prosecutors, who said he is mentally unfit for prison and should be sent to a psychiatric hospital instead. The ruling means that prosecutors concluded that Breivik was “psychotic” when he killed 77 people on July 22 in the country’s worst peacetime massacre in history. Prosecutors said the decision came after Breivik was evaluated by a panel of forensic experts, who concluded that Breivik lives in a “his own delusional universe, where all his thoughts and acts are governed by these illusions,” said prosecutor Svein Holden. The conclusion came as somewhat of a surprise, after the head of the board of forensic psychologists said after the attacks that it was unlikely Breivik would be found insane since the massacre was so carefully plotted, and a district judge already ruled Breivik was mentally fit to stand trial.