Content Section
TRAGIC Grandpa Tried to Save Kids From Fire AP Photo

Grandpa Tried to Save Kids From Fire

The saddest story from Christmas keeps getting worse: Lomer Johnson, the man who played Santa Claus at Saks Fifth Avenue flagship store on Christmas Eve, died while apparently trying to save one of his granddaughters in the Connecticut house fire that killed five people. His body was found on the roof outside of a granddaughter’s bedroom; Johnson's wife and three granddaughters died in the blaze, while his daughter survived. The house has since been razed. Though there have been reports that the fire was caused by embers from a fireplace, the fire department still is not commenting on its cause except to say it wasn’t arson.

December 27, 2011 6:55 AM