1. AFGHANISTAN

    Soldier Accused of Massacre Flown Out

    An American soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians has been flown out of Afghanistan, a U.S. military official said on Wednesday. The official said the soldier had been flown to a “pretrial containment facility” in another country, but did not provide any more details. The official said the decision had been made to pursue legal proceedings outside Afghanistan, but did not provide any other reasons for the move. In a separate New York Times piece, a U.S. official said there is surveillance video of the soldier returning to the base after the shooting. The soldier, an Army staff sergeant, walks up to the outpost and surrenders. Some details also emerged about the sergeant: he is a 38-year-old married father of two, serving with the Third Stryker Brigade, Second Infantry Division, and based out of the Joint Lewis-McChord Army installation near Tacoma, Wash.

    Read it at Associated Press