1. JUSTICE

    Staff Sgt. Bales to Be Charged

    In this Aug. 23, 2011 Defense Video & Imagery Distribution System photo, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, left, 1st platoon sergeant, Blackhorse Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division participates in an exercise at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif. A  senior U.S. official, Friday March 16, 2012 identified Bales as the man accused of killing 16 civilians in an attack on Afghan villagers five days ago. The man at the right is unidentified. (AP Photo/DVIDS, Spc. Ryan Hallock)

    Spc. Ryan Hallock / DCIDS via AP Photo

    Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the American soldier allegedly responsible for killing 16 Afghan civilians last week, is expected to be formally charged as early as Saturday. His lawyer, John Henry Browne, has a history of working with high-profile clients including serial killer Ted Bundy. Bales, 38, arrived late Friday night at a military prison in Fort Leavenworth, Kans., after being identified Friday. U.S. officials said he won’t necessarily be tried in the U.S., as the Afghan government is demanding court proceedings be held in Afghanistan. Officials have said that Bales, a married father of two, he has a clean record and neighbors describe him as a family man and good guy. He had been deployed to Iraq three times where he suffered a traumatic brain injury before he was sent to Afghanistan.

    Read it at ABC News