1. OFFICIAL WORD

    NBC’s Richard Engel Freed

    FILE - In this Monday, May 18, 2009 file photo, Richard Engel attends the Peabody Awards held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. NBC's chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel and his production team were released unharmed Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 after being held captive for five days inside Syria by an "unknown group," the network said. Engel, 39, has been reporting on the Syrian civil war, which has killed more than 40,000 people since March 2011. (AP Photo/Charles Sykes, File)

    Charles Sykes/AP

    NBC’s Richard Engel and members of his production crew were freed from kidnappers Monday—five days after being abducted by an unknown group, NBC News confirmed. Engel, 39, disappeared on Thursday shortly after crossing into Syria from Turkey, and the network had been unable to contact him until Monday. The network said no group had claimed responsibility yet, and it was never contacted with any ransom demands or had any contact with Engel and the crew while they were missing. Engel said that after being abducted, he and his crew were transported blindfolded to an unknown location, and they were freed Monday when the truck they were in was stopped at a checkpoint manned by a Syrian rebel group.

    Read it at NBC News