U.S.-Led Afghan Raids to Continue

    Afghan President Hamid Karzai gives a press conference on October 12, 2013 with the US secretary of state at the presidential palace in Kabul. Karzai and US Secretary of State John Kerry said on October 12 said that that talks on the future of US forces in Afghanistan were stuck on the key issue of US troop immunity. Kerry extended his stay in Kabul to try to thrash out a long-delayed security pact that would allow between 5,000 and 10,000 US troops to remain in Afghanistan to fight Al-Qaeda and train the national army.                          AFP PHOTO / MASSOUD HOSSAINI        (Photo credit should read MASSOUD HOSSAINI/AFP/Getty Images)


    Raids on Afghan homes will continue after the bulk of U.S. soldiers leave in 2014, according to an agreement reached Tuesday between American and Afghan officials. The raids on Afghan homes had been a key sticking point in negotiations for post-2014 Afghanistan, and Afghan president Hamid Karzai conceded to the raids under “extraordinary circumstances” only. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is also expected to admit “mistakes” by U.S. military forces and promise that these mistakes will not be repeated, a spokesman for Karzai told The New York Times.

    Read it at The New York Times