North Korean Internet Goes Down

    North Korean leader Kim Jong Un speaks at an emergency meeting of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) Central Military Commission, in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang on August 21, 2015. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered his troops onto a war footing from 5 p.m on Friday after Pyongyang issued an ultimatum to Seoul to halt anti-North propaganda broadcasts by Saturday afternoon or face military action.   REUTERS/KCNA         TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY     ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS PICTURE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. REUTERS IS UNABLE TO INDEPENDENTLY VERIFY THE AUTHENTICITY, CONTENT, LOCATION OR DATE OF THIS IMAGE. NO THIRD PARTY SALES. NOT FOR USE BY REUTERS THIRD PARTY DISTRIBUTORS. FOR EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NOT FOR SALE FOR MARKETING OR ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS. SOUTH KOREA OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN SOUTH KOREA. THIS PICTURE IS DISTRIBUTED EXACTLY AS RECEIVED BY REUTERS, AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS. - RTX1P0IC


    North Korea’s Internet went down twice in the past 12 hours as Pyongyang talks about going to war with South Korea. Dyn Research reported the Internet outages, but it is not clear whether they were intentional or not. Kim Jong Un on Friday ordered troops to enter a “wartime state” and warned the South to stop broadcasting into the North from loudspeakers at the border. The two countries exchanged artillery fire on Thursday, which followed two South Korean soldiers being injured by a landmine in the demilitarized zone.

    This isn’t the first time North Korea has lost its tenuous connection to the global Internet. As The Daily Beast previously reported, a variety of hackers—some working for the United States government, others operating independently—attacked and probed key portions of the North Korean Internet after the country's hackers targeted Sony Pictures Entertainment last year. Since then, North Korea has gone offline twice, according to Dyn. In May, the Internet went down for more than an hour. And on August 9, the country suffered a 4.5-hour outage.

    — Shane Harris