09.24.13 7:00 PM ET
Miley’s 5 Wild Outfits From ‘23’
The latest chapter of Miley Cyrus's rebranding campaign arrived Tuesday in the form of another video, for her single "23." The video, produced by Mike WiLL Made-It, stars Cyrus alongside rappers Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J, and the now-infamous foam finger from the MTV VMAs. Filmed at Bishop Ford High School in Brooklyn, “23” is chock full of ’90s nostalgia—in particular, a tribute to Michael Jordan—featuring Cyrus wearing several renditions of his number 23 Chicago Bulls jersey—and not much else. (Jordan, who played for the Bulls from 1984 to 1993, and again from 1995 to 1998, declined to comment for this article.)
Directed by Hannah Lux Davis and styled by Haley Wollens, Cyrus goes through no fewer than five outfit changes throughout the course of the video, all resonating with a 1990s air. The styling was meant to invoke "bad gal with a sweet spirit," Wollens told The Daily Beast, with direct references to her favorite teen movies, including Pretty Woman, Gidget, and Clueless. Despite the fact that Miley is wearing more clothes than her previous music video (and the fact that she recently told Rolling Stone that she'll probably never twerk again), she remains a "down-ass video diva," as Wollens puts it, and shows no sign of toning things down. Behold, the looks from the video:
1) Chicago Bull’s Bra and Booty Shorts: A smoking Cyrus opens the video, hanging in the girls bathroom in a Chicago Bull's jersey, reconstructed into a bra and high-waisted booty shorts with a custom Erin Made Me Do It monogrammed white letterman jacket. She's blinged out in a Chanel cuff and purse draped over her shoulder, a Delfina Delettrez earring in her right ear, and chains on her neck, ankles, and wrists. Matching the cigarette in her hand, Cyrus wears Prada heels with a pair of smoking lips across the toes.
2) Paging Pretty Woman: Cut to the locker-room scene, where Cyrus is channeling Pretty Woman in a black-and-white cut-out jumpsuit with navel-height garter suspenders. In true locker-room style, she rocks bejeweled Céline Birkenstocks with wool socks and a pair of gold-framed Versace sunglasses.
3) All Hail, Michael Jordan!: Stylist Wollens explained that this "song is all about flossing your Js" (showing off your Jordans), which is exemplified in the scene in the school gymnasium where Cyrus is wearing a blend of the two previous outfits, with a Jordan “23” Bulls jersey cut into a Vivian Ward/Pretty Woman-y dress. She lost the sandals and now has a personalized pair of Jordan Nikes, or "J's," on her feet (the ankle chains managed to survive the shoe change though). Later on she also sports a matching Bulls theme-colored garter belt.
4) Pleather Mini in the Bleachers: Cyrus joins Wiz and Juicy J on the bleachers in a shiny, black pleather Versus by Versace dress, Versace sunglasses, and maximum bling for some crotch grabbing. (The infamous MTV VMA foam finger, created by costume designer Lisa Katnic, makes its first music-video cameo here.)
5) On the Rebound: Casually straddling the gym's basketball hoop, Miley tosses around a crystallized basketball while wearing matching silver Jordans in the final scene. Ensuring that her midriff is still exposed, Cyrus is obviously wearing a rhinestone crop top to match the basketball. And just in case she gets stuck up there, she has a garter belt–fanny pack around her thigh to keep a phone in and call for help. Or Instagram a selfie, whichever comes first.