13 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘Mean Girls’
It’s been ten years since ‘Mean Girls’ came out. Here’s what you probably didn’t know about the film.
1) Rachel McAdams didn’t dye her hair for the film. She wore a blonde wig.
2) The Mariah Carey song “Obsessed” has Mean Girls quotes laced into the song’s introduction.
3) Ashley Tisdale (no, not Scarlett Johansson) auditioned for the role of Karen, predicting the weather for us. It was played by Amanda Seyfried.
4) Glen Coco is a real person! (and a friend of Tina Fey’s.)
5) Jonathan Bennett was chosen for the role of Aaron Samuels because Tina Fey thought he looked like Jimmy Fallon.
6) Lacey Chabert, who played Gretchen, was the voice of Eliza Thornberry on the cartoon The Wild Thornberrys. She was also Meg in the first season of Family Guy, until the character was rewritten.
7) Lindsay Lohan wasn’t always meant to play nice girl Cady. Director Mark Waters thought she would have been a great Regina George, but Paramount wasn’t sure audiences wanted to see her as a “bad girl.” Oh, the irony.
8) Rachel McAdams got her “raging bitch” attitude from watching Alec Baldwin in Glengarry, Glen Ross and listening to Courtney Love CDs.
9) Lindsay Lohan was the only “mean girl” old enough to attend high school while filming; she was eighteen.
10) Even though they played mother and daughter on screen, Rachel McAdams and Amy Poehler only had a seven-year age gap.
11) Luckily, the film didn’t go with the original ending. In an interview with Cosmopolitan Daniel Franzese said:
“In the original script that I read, Kevin G. gets busted by Miss Norbury for selling ecstasy -- so when they call her a drug pusher she actually has drugs in her desk, [because] she took them away from Kevin G. Janis and Damian convince Kevin G. to go to the school board when they discuss her punishment to confess that it was him, but Kevin G never shows up. So Damian gets on the podium and kind of bullshits his way through saying it was him to try to protect Miss Norbury.”
12) The film was originally rated R. The scene where Cady walks in on Regina and Jason were altered, along the lines “her muffin was buttered,” and the reference to a girl who “made out with a hot dog.”
13) Mean Girls may make it to Broadway. So fetch.