Politics

Deranged Trump Threatens to ‘Bomb the S**t’ Out of Key Ally

OH MAN!

With friends like Trump, who needs enemies?

Donald Trump has threatened to “bomb the s--t” out of a key ally.

The president said on Monday that if the Gulf state of Oman interferes with his war with Iran, he would drop bombs on it.

“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s--t out of them,” the 80-year-old said in an interview with Fox News.

the Strait of Hormuz,
Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway through which about a fifth of global oil supplies normally flow. Stringer/REUTERS

Longtime U.S. ally Oman has served as a backchannel intermediary during the conflict, which began in February.

Iran has closed the Strait of Hormuz since the bombs first fell, causing gas prices to rise and putting pressure on Trump, and helping to crater his public support back home.

Iran said it had been working with Oman to find a way to reopen the lane, through which one-fifth of the world’s oil and gas flows during peacetime.

Trump threatened Muscat with military action in May after it discussed regulating the flow of traffic with Iran.

STRAIT OF HORMUZ - NOVEMBER 19: In this handout photo provided by the US Navy,  The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), left, the Royal Navy air defense destroyer HMS Defender (D 36) and the guided-missile destroyer USS Farragut (DDG 99) transit the Strait of Hormuz on November 19, 2019. The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is deployed to the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations in support of naval operations to ensure maritime stability and security in the Central Region, connecting the Mediterranean and the Pacific through the western Indian Ocean and three strategic choke points. With Abraham Lincoln as the flagship, deployed strike group assets include staffs, ships and aircraft of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 12, Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 2, the guided-missile cruiser USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 7. (Photo by Zachary Pearson- U.S. Navy via Getty Images)
The U.S. has sought to open the strait in an effort led by the USS Abraham Lincoln. Handout/U.S. Navy

“Nobody is going to control it,” Trump said during a Cabinet meeting. “It’s international waters, and Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we will have to blow them up.”

Although it’s classified as an international strait and open to international navigation, most of it lies within Iranian and Omani waters.

Little progress has been reported in reaching a peace deal since Trump signed a memorandum of peace at Versailles. That agreement set an ambitious 60-day deadline to agree a broader peace deal. Day 60 was reached on Monday with the two sides no closer to an agreement.

The U.S. has sought to regain control of the narrow waterway with a strong naval presence. However, fuel flow remains slow.

TOPSHOT - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gives a national security speech aboard the World War II Battleship USS Iowa, September 15, 2015, in San Pedro, California.   AFP PHOTO /ROBYN BECK (Photo by Robyn BECK / AFP) (Photo by ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)
Trump has been trying to get control of the Strait of Hormuz. ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images

“Despite President Trump claiming total control over the strait, traffic has slowed really to a trickle,” Fox News host Bret Baier said live on air last week.

“If you look at this, before the conflict, more than 100 vessels a day were crossing. Monday, eight vessels crossed. Yesterday, 14.”

The USS Abraham Lincoln has led efforts to reopen it. The aircraft carrier has, however, become a source of pressure on the president, as she and those who serve on her endure their ninth month of a grueling deployment.

Conditions are feared to have deteriorated on board, with reports citing crews’ family members suggesting some have attempted to go overboard.

An American sailor directs the pilot of an F-35C Lightning II from the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln earlier this month.
The USS Abraham Lincoln has been at the forefront of the fight with Iran. US NAVY/via REUTERS

The attack on Iran has also raised concern that the U.S. is burning through its munitions stockpiles at an unsustainable rate.

Asked about this during the same interview with Fox News, Trump said, “What we’ve used is peanuts. We have a lot of mid-level weapons.”

The Center for Strategic and International Studies reported that the U.S. has enough for this war under all circumstances, but the concern is that it could create a future shortage in conflicts down the road.