Given how giant Amazon is, it’s expected that people are able to—and actually do—buy some weird stuff from them. As 2017 wraps up, we decided to peruse the top 20 best-selling items across each of their major product categories to find the aforementioned weird stuff. Why, you ask? Well, mostly out of pure curiosity. It’s fascinating to consider what the world decides it wants and needs at this scale. And you might want or need these things, too! But also, why not?
Our selection ranges from the understandable to the practical to the puzzling to the brilliant. It’s also worth noting that several of these were borne of the innovation firehose that is Shark Tank, so perhaps it’s not that surprising that people are flocking to buy these things.
Enjoy, in no particular order:
- DUDE Wipes Flushable, Unscented, #14 in Amazon Launchpad
- Drop Stop - The Original Patented Car Seat Gap Filler, #7 in Automobiles. Lest you drop your french fries or coins!
- Brodi Slime Storage Containers, 20 Pack, #9 in Arts, Crafts, Sewing. “Convenient to classify your various colors slime foam balls,” as described on Amazon. Likely related to “How to make slime” topping Google’s “How to” list for 2017.
- Exploding Kittens Card Game, #3 in Toys & Games. Great name, likely great fun given that it’s the most-backed project on Kickstarter, still weird concept: “A card game for people who are into kittens and explosions and laser beams and sometimes goats.”
- FloraCraft, 4 Liters, Plastic Snow, #15 in Arts, Crafts, Sewing. ‘Tis the season.
- PopSockets: Expanding Stand and Grip for Smartphones and Tablets, #3 in Cell Phones & Accessories. Super practical, but definitely weird-looking.
- C.C BeanieTail Soft Stretch Cable Knit Messy High Bun Ponytail Beanie Hat, #3 in Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
- Haribo Original Gold-Bears Gummi Candy, 5-Pound Bag of Delicious Bears!, #20 in Grocery & Gourmet Food. FIVE POUNDS!
- Squatty Potty The Original Bathroom Toilet Stool 7", #9 in Health & Household. Squatting is a lost practice in most Western countries that’s actually quite good for you, but it’s coming back. Apparently.
- Chia Donald Trump Freedom of Choice Pottery Planter, #6 in Patio, Lawn & Garden. I mean look at that green hair up there. Quite the makeover.
- Damn I Got Old Quick Hat, #13 in Sports Collectibles
- Himalayan Glow 1002 Himalayan Pink Salt Lamp, #4 in Tools & Home Improvement
Please note that if you buy something featured in one of our posts we may collect a share of sales.